To give you an introduction to the PTO / Leave Policies and Requests
Setting Up Policies for Your Office
Start at the menu on the left-hand side of your Dashboard, scroll your mouse over "PTO / Leave", and click "Policies".
A few Policies have been pre-populated with placeholder data. Take a moment to look at one of these example policies. Scroll your cursor over a policy name, and then click the "Edit" link that appears below the title of the policy.
Policies are set up to be flexible so that they can match the existing policies in your practice. Each policy must have a distinct name. You can also enter a description to further clarify the policy. Each policy has a number of days, a calendar color, and can be appointed to all employees or just employees with a specific job title or who are in a specific department. In the event that you have more than one location, policies can even be determined by office.
You will notice that Gender is an option on how policies are to be assigned, this is for the purpose of setting up Maternity Leave (as applicable).
If you would like to keep or modify any of the existing example leave policies, you can make your changes inside of the pop-up window. Please be sure to click the blue "Update" button to save your changes.
Creating a New Leave Policy
1. To create a new Leave Policy, go to the Policy overview page and click the "Add New" button in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. This will open a pop-up window for you create your new policy.
2. The fields you have available to edit are nearly the same as what is available when editing an existing policy with the addition of:
- An effective date
- When it should become active
- Whether it should be applied immediately to existing employees
3. When choosing when it should become active, there are a few options available in the dropdown menu:
- Immediately: This leave policy will be immediately assigned to all staff meeting the criteria.
- After X # of Days: When selecting this option a new field will appear. Enter the number of days after an employee is hired for this leave policy to take effect.
- Manually: This leave policy must be manually applied to an employee for it to become active.
4. After entering the information for your new leave policy, click the blue "Create Policy" button to save your work.
Until you are very familiar with creating leave policies, It is recommended that you review the Leave Entitlements after creating a new policy.
Start at the menu on the left-hand side of your Dashboard, scroll your mouse over "PTO / Leave", and then click "Leave Entitlements".
The default view for this screen will display all associations that exist between the policies in place, and the staff to which they are entitled.
To remove an entitlement from one or more staff:
1. Click the checkbox next to that line item.
2. Select "Delete" from the Bulk Actions drop down menu at the top of the screen.
3. Click the "Apply" button to remove the selected associations.
To add an entitlement to one or more staff:
1. Click the "Add New" button in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
2. Now you are able to chose the policy, the calendar year to which it should be applied, the employee, and any comments about the assignment.
3. If you want to apply the policy to multiple employees, click the checkbox next to "Assign to multiple employees". This adds the option to assign the leave policy to a specific office location or department.
Start at the menu on the left-hand side of your Dashboard, scroll your mouse over "PTO / Leave", and then click "Requests".
Staff have the ability to submit leave requests from within the ePM HR module. When a staff member initiates a leave request, they must submit the type of time off that they are requesting, the dates that they will be absent from work, a reason for the time off, and how their duties will be covered during their absence.
The ePM system automatically checks if they have enough time off available under the leave policy that they selected, and notifies them if there is not enough time available for the request.
When the employee submits the request, the system will automatically send an email to the address provided as the main contact of the HR Manager.
All requests will appear on the Leave Requests page. By default, pending leave requests are shown on the Leave Requests screen. You can toggle between Approved, Rejected, Pending, and All requests by clicking the appropriate link in the upper left-hand corner of the Leave Requests screen.
HR Managers can Approve or Reject a leave request directly from the Leave Requests page by placing their cursor over that line item, and then clicking the "Reject" or "Approve" link that appears. When the link is clicked, a pre-formatted response email is automatically sent to the employee. These email templates can be edited by going to ePM - HR Settings, clicking Settings, then clicking the Emails tab in the Notification Emails section of that page.
If a request needs to be moved back to a Pending status, go to the "Approved" or "Rejected" page, scroll your cursor over that line item, and then click the "Mark Pending" link that appears to move that request back to a Pending status.
Viewing all Leave Requests on a Calendar
Start at the menu on the left-hand side of your Dashboard, scroll your mouse to "PTO / Leave", and then click "Calendar".
This calendar will give you a full overview of all staff leave requests. This calendar can be filtered to show requests only from a specific Department or a specific Job Title Designation.
All approved requests will be shown on the calendar (in the color assigned to the leave policy that is being applied to that time off). If you click on a specific employee's time off request on the calendar, it will link you directly to the Employee Record for that person.
Please note: This calendar is different from the calendar shown on the HR Management Overview page (explained in the next article), in that it shows all employees' time off requests.
Removing Placeholder/Example Employees
Please make sure you are 100% finished with all PTO / Leave policy setup before deleting the placeholder employees.
1. Scroll your mouse over the name, and the options to "Edit" or "Delete" will appear.
2. Click on "Delete" and then the system will prompt you to confirm the deletion.
3. Click the "OK" button and the employee record will be deleted.